What are the chances that you’ve stumbled on my blog because you love to eat? Well, so do I. Even more so, as a 1.5 generation Chinese Canadian I’ve grown to see food as an exploration of heritage and culture. Having immigrated to the West Coast as a young child, I often found myself struggling to marry these two diverse parts of my personal identity. In my own research, I found a lack of resources for Chinese or Chinese inspired cooking that’s youthful, easy and accessible in English. This blog is a place for sharing recipes, dissecting ingredients, trying out local eateries and the odd anecdotal thought on food in general.
Here’s a few thing you’ll probably want to know:
- I’m particular about certain Chinese ingredients and I’m flexible on others but I will try to suggest alternative replacements where possible.
- I don’t eat spicy food but please snazz things up with chilies if that’s your taste.
- I think Chinese fusion food can be a lot of fun and a great way to put an twist to common North American ingredients so don’t be surprised to find some of those here too.
- Bonus: I speak Mandarin, Cantonese and can understand a few other dialects but I can’t read much Chinese.
- Some links are affiliate links which help support my blog / Youtube channel. There is no obligation to use them but if you do, thank you!
This is also my first attempt at WordPress so there’s still a lot of fine tuning in terms of blogging logistics but I believe the best way to keep in touch is by subscribing via the button at the bottom of the page. If you’re interested in other parts of my life, I also run a beauty and lifestyle blog over at www.pbunniep.com so there’s lots of options here.
With love from Vancouver,